Friday, February 26, 2010

Week 2--Can dreaming dangeriously be scheduled?

Day Zero--
Wade has always been pretty kick-ass, both in actual game play and in my attempts at novelization.  As I focused on reworking her story, I found myself longing for the urban fantasy that was less kick-ass and more mythic.  Sleeping in the 'tween time between weeks, my subconscious said, "Why not have both?"  And it played "Landslide" on a mental loop--Billy Corgan singing.  Maybe that last bit is neither here nor there, but I woke up with a new challenge and theme song for Wade's softer side.

Day One--
I worked on the "what if", or in this case the, "wait! why?"  Basic to the background of this character is her being one of three, separated at birth and hidden away.  This should be more than background!  Babies are adopted everyday, but there was a great mystery aound these triplets that has never been solved.  I got a few basic ideas on that, and jotted down a few thoughts about themes.

Days Two-Six--
Classwork, motherhood, and a wee bit of writing group moderation.  Two weeks in and the picture is already forming.  I've got to find a way to organize my life so I can be a good wife/mother/student without disengaging from writing for days at a time.  Other people manage it, so I know it's not some unreachable goal.  BUT, my life has been categorized by disorganization for so long, I have no idea where to begin.

For now, I'm going to shower and get back to working on characters.  Another failure in my past has been devotion to primary characters and near ignoring everyone else.  So...shower, characters, more on setting, plot, fold laundry, clean daughter's room, and give some attention to the texts that I'm more than a hundred pages behind on.  (Food and sex will happen without any lists.)

8 comments:

Nicole said...

I know how you feel... I need to find a way to do all my other jobs without disconnecting as a writer.

My solution at the moment? I have a project that MUST BE FINISHED (first draft) before I let myself play with a new toy that's arriving mid-March. I hope it works.

Angela Addams said...

It's tough having everything to do and still write!

Ignore the cleaning daughter's room bit and indulge yourself with a little time for writing. That's what I would do anyway!

Selestial said...

Lately I've let most other things slide and focused on the writing. Looking around my house today, I realize that might have been a lousy decision on my part LOL. But I want this piece finished and revised for RT, so I'm on a crazy time schedule.

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow and all that jazz.

*hugs*

Angela Magee said...

I cleaned one corner of her room, then went back to the notebook. The good news is progress, but on the other hand, I really do need to find a way to do it all. It won't work in the long run if I succeed in writing but fail as a parent or student, and vice versa.

Ken said...

It's tough. There's always something else needing to get done. I always get 'chored' away from writing, and I'm not going to mention all the time I spend with career-stuff. But, I'll keep writing.

Diane Girard said...

It's a juggling act and you may have to let some non-essential tings slide for a while. As long as you can find your way through the piles you will be okay. Focus on what matters most - yes, I know that ain't easy.

All the best,
DianeG

Anonymous said...

There's always something to take me away from writing time. Since I can't always be at the keyboard, I've placed pad and pen in a couple places in the house. I LOVE the voice memo on my iPhone for when I'm out running errands and a thought strikes me.

SusanKMann said...

I just cannot find a balance at all. Something slips. Great post. x